Tuesday, August 9, 2011

unexpected benefits of standing up

Sitting is Killing You
Via: Medical Billing And Coding

Have you seen this public service announcement about the dangers of sitting at work all day? This summer, while doing lab work, I've tried to stand for at least 4 hours of my workday. It turns out to have some unexpected benefits:

1) I work faster. I'm working in a lab with a wonderful comparative collection, but if I'm sitting down, then I constantly have to jump up and run to the correct drawer. I'm faster standing in the middle of the room, with my work on a box on top of a table, and just taking a step to one side or the other when I need a particular skeleton.

2) If I need a drink/walk/stretch in order to regain my concentration back, I don't have to fight inertia. I find that I can only do a few hours of lab work before my eyes start to cross. If I take a short break, walk outside, get a drink, then I am ready to start again, fresh. But, if I'm sitting with my work around me, I find it hard to get motivated to stand up and walk out of the room, even though I know it will make me feel better. When I'm already standing, I can do a little stretching, walk around the room, and find it easier to concentrate.

3) It's far easier to supervise students/volunteers if you're lurking over their shoulder - even while working - than when you're sitting at a different table in the same room.

4) I feel like I've earned my lunch. Desert? Sure, why not?

No comments:

Post a Comment