Thursday, September 2, 2010

noble Indian

While on family vacation this summer, I came across this statue:
It's not a very good photo (sorry), but what really caught my attention was the inscription. Here's a close-up (I have no idea why Blogger chose to turn the picture from it's original orientation. If anyone knows how to fix that, let me know):


It turns out that Mr. Toth has completed a series of these "Noble Indian" sculptures, called the Trail of the Whispering Giants, in all 50 states. There is a wikipedia page about them, and you can see the pictures here. They are all remarkably similar looking, despite representing a diversity of cultural groups.

My question is this: Does Mr. Toth believe all Native Americans are dead? Or is it just that living Native Americans are no longer noble? (Perhaps this is the artist's version of "the only good Indian...")

No comments:

Post a Comment